Sunday, 27 October 2013

3-Year-Old Boy Dies While Hugging Electrocuted Mum And 3 Others In Lagos


According to PUNCH report, on Wednesday, October 16, a day after Muslim folks celebrated Sallah, tragedy struck at Oniwaya Junction, Agege, Lagos, as a high tension cable electrocuted four people in the area.




A woman, identified as Mrs. Oluwajedalo but popularly called Iya Fathia, survived the electrocution but lost his three-year-old son, Ayomide, who ran towards her and embraced her as electric shock overtook her.

The incident was still a hot topic of discussion when Saturday PUNCH visited the area on Tuesday as some people were seen discussing it in the front of house Number 88, Oniwaya Road, where the incident occurred.




There is a transformer located at Oniwaya Junction. House no 88 is just two houses away from the transformer.

A resident of the house, Mr. James Eboh, promptly pointed to a paper on a wall, a poster of the four victims of the electrocution – Ayomide Oluwajedalo (3), Sunday Hisaun (25), Samson Akinrinsoye (25) and Matthew (37).

Eboh shook his head and said the three-year-old victim should not have died.

He said:

The incident occurred around 8pm. There was a spark on the transformer over there. As we heard the spark, everybody scampered for safety because it had happened before. A cable detached from the transformer as the spark went off. It fell on this shop here (in the front of No 88). Iya Fathia moved towards the shop to warn the shop owner, who was inside at the time. But she stepped on a metal on which the shop was built.
As the electric shock went through her body, she was shaking violently. Ayomide who sighted her mother at the entrance of the house, ran towards her and embraced her. He died on the spot. But his mother survived.
I am the closest friend of Iya Fathia (Ayomide’s mother) in this house. I was one of those who took her to a hospital in Egbeda. It is just sad because the woman is not sane at the moment.
Asked how Mrs. Oluwajedalo could be located, Eboh said her family had requested for her discharge at the hospital in Egbeda where she was undergoing treatment and taken her to Ijebu-Ode.
“The woman was still in shock and she did not seem to be improving. The family had spent a lot on her treatment. They decided to move her to Ijebu-Ode because the cost was becoming unbearable for them. The last time I spoke with her in Egbeda, she was not sounding normal. She was only saying, ‘My son is not dead! My son is okay! My son is not dead”, Eboh said.

He explained that the young victim had been buried at the Jafojo Cemetery.

Abiola Oladimeji, who was in his shop when the high tension cable fell on it, said he survived by divine grace. “I was told Iya Fathia was coming to alert us when she was electrocuted. It is just unfortunate”, he said.

It was a wonder that Oladimeji was not electrocuted because his shop on which the cable fell is a moveable metal container.

When Saturday PUNCH got to the scene on Tuesday, the cable that caused the electrocution had been removed. It is common to see high tension cables hanging precariously over residential areas in Lagos.

[Punch]

1 comment:

  1. very sad and unfortunate!!! may God give her the strength to bear this heavy loss.
    http://ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We love your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
counter